The Data Engineer will apply their skills and experience toward the development of a holistic data pipeline, with the objective of standardizing and proceduralizing many of the business and customer metrics that drive the ‘story’ of our customers, products, or business. This includes but is not limited to: Identification and collection of key datapoints, manipulation and dissemination of data-sets, and the creation and evangelical support of tools which democratize key business insights, and allow departments the ability to self-serve these metrics.
Knowledge & Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in an analytics field such as statistics, mathematics, economics, or related field, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years experience in data engineering or similar field
- Demonstrated ability to effectively define and deliver innovative data pipelines, providing actionable data-driven insights to the team
- Strong understanding of database development and structure, along with manipulation and management of existing datasets
- Mine, retrieve, and manipulate high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources to enable the highlighting of patterns, anomalies, relationships, and trends
- Work with your team to develop and deliver presentations succinctly and effectively, communicating technical ideas to non-technical audiences
- Proactively identify and develop expertise in new technologies, methodologies, and techniques
- Lead cross-functional projects from ideation/conception through implementation
- Ensure data integrity; collaborate with internal stakeholders and business partners to identify rules, procedures, and policy; work with other staff in data gathering and reporting.
- Strong experience building and working with data warehouses and ETL flows
- Advanced SQL knowledge, in depth experience with, Snowflake, Matillion, Netsuite, Power BI, Excel, Python, R, Stitch or related software
- Experience with HTML, CSS, Ruby*, JS, and other client-side languages a plus
- A curious and proactive mentality, with a “see it, own it, do it” approach
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative approach to problem solving
Complexity & Problem Solving
This position will require frequent complex problem solving and decision making. Candidate must possess the ability to analyze and decode all problems and efficiently make proper decisions using all relevant data.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to relate at all levels.
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to effectively work with cross-functional teams to achieve results
- Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people. (We’re a bunch of outdoor thrill seekers, afterall)
- Strong ability to provide advice and recommend actions involving complex and cross-functional issues. May resolve problems within established practices.
Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.